Why the Defender Mouthguard?Boil & Bite vs. Custom Fit Mouthguards
The need for properly fitted sports mouthguards has been receiving increased attention due to the efforts of the Academy for Sports Dentistry and local athletic organizations themselves. The Academy speaks authoritatively on the requirements of the properly fitted mouthguard, as well as the shortcomings of some “off the shelf” Boil & Bite products.
According to the findings of the Academy for Sports Dentistry, when using single layered Boil & Bites the athlete cannot achieve the specific thicknesses of:
- 3mm on the outer (lip and cheek) surfaces of the teeth
- 3 mm on the occlusal (chewing ) surfaces of the teeth, and
- 2 mm on the inner (tongue) surfaces of the teeth.
- Biting too hard into the softened Boil & Bite can cause thin spots or holes, as a result of biting through the material.
- Biting into the single layer Boil & Bite does not offer total tooth coverage.
- Biting into the “one size fits all” Boil & Bite can distort the guard and interfere with the tongue.
(Restricted Breathing and Speech).
The Academy for Sports Dentistry states that Custom Fit Mouthguards offer superior fit, maximum protection, and unrestricted comfort making it easy to comply with the discipline of wearing a mouthguard.. After all, even a properly made mouthguard cannot protect the athlete if it remains in the locker room.
The custom fit Defender Mouthguard ™ is:
- Heat and pressure formed over a model of the athlete’s teeth, providing Superior Fit. You no longer have to clench your teeth to keep the mouthguard in place.
- Laminated with multi-layers of mouthguard material, providing Maximum Protection. The number of layers used and the thickness of each layer is computer controlled.
- Streamline Designed for minimal tongue interference, allowing for Unrestricted Breathing and Clear Speech.
The custom fit Defender Mouthguard ™ helps reduce the likelihood of…
- Chipping, breaking, loss of teeth
- Neck and jaw injuries
- Laceration of the tongue, lips, and cheeks
- Jaw joint injuries
Although the Boil & Bite may appear to be economical at the Sporting Goods checkout counter, the athlete may have to buy several of them to get through the playing season. Or, the athlete may stop wearing it mid season because of all its shortcomings.
Custom fit Defender Mouthguards ™ cost more than Boil & Bites because they are WORTH MORE. When one considers that, “a great number of dental sports injuries result in lifetime dental costs in excess of $10,000 per tooth” (Academy for Sports Dentistry), It is surprising that coaches and parents are not more aware of the considerable benefits of Custom Fit Mouthguards.